Are you safe at home?

Did you know that 30-50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide is a lethal gas, it’s colourless, tasteless and odourless so it is very hard to identify but is toxic to humans and animals (dependent on concentration). CO is produced when gas appliances do not burn fuel properly such as boilers, built in ovens and freestanding cookers. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal air poisoning in countries around the world.

There are a few signs that the Gas Safe Register has identified which consist of:

• A yellow cooker flame, as gas flames should be blue and crisp

• Soot staining around appliances

• More condensation inside windows.

With these signs come symptoms including: nausea, headaches vomiting, dizziness and fatigue.

The Fire Angel CO-9X is a carbon monoxide detector that has an audible alarm that will sound if any CO is detected. It has a triple LED display illuminating certain lights for the power, a fault that may have arisen and if the alarm sounds. The Fire Angel CO-9X also comes with an internal power pack, which powers the alarm for a full 7 years.

As carbon monoxide poisoning is lethal it is important to check to make sure the detector is constantly working, so there is a test and reset button that should be used weekly. To help as well there is an automatic self-diagnostic check so the carbon monoxide detector will check to see if there are any problems.